Monday, April 11, 2011

Bloomsbury Literary Series

E.M. Forster painted by the artist Carrington

This Thursday, April 14  I am going to a lecture on the English novel Howards End by E. M. Forster at the Beverly Hills Country Club.  This is the first of a three-part series called The Moderns: Bloomsbury  organized by Julie Robinson of Literary Affairs.  The other two lectures in this series will be on  Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford.  I have enjoyed many of the Classic Literary Luncheons that Julie has put on, and I am especially excited about this one.  John Romano, Ph.D. will be the lecturer.  Howards End is one of my favorite books and I have just reread it and watched the movie.  I have fallen in love with this book all over again.  At the heart of this book, published in 1910, is the love of a house and the love of England.   If you have a chance to read it and come to the lecture,  it should be a an illuminating and enjoyable experience.  If  you would like to purchase tickets, you can click here.

E.M. Forster (on right) with Mary Hutchinson, Clive Bell, and Duncan Grant




8 comments:

  1. How wonderful!! I haven't read this in years - well actually, decades. I may have to reread as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this one...always love old English novels. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a stunningly beautiful portrait, but in the quiet way that Carrington painted. She captures him and the way he thought and wrote. Would LOVE to come to the lecture, but can't this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun...I am going to try and switch my schedule around and go too! Will let you know... If I do, can we sit together? :)

    Love love LOVE "Howards End." Am talking about it for my upcoming speech too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! I will save you a seat.
    I know what you mean about "Howards End." It is about so many things that move me -- the love of the house and England, the gulf between the upper and lower classes and the idealism of Margaret and her surprising success at bridging that gulf in the end, the two sisters and their devotion to the arts, the conflict between the artists/intellects and the financial movers and shakers (the Wilcoxes). The strong women characters. I just adore it. So many quotable lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wish i could attend this! can't wait to hear ALL about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to read Howard's End for a while. Your post finally gave me the push I needed to buy a copy today. E M Forster was an Austen fan, too! Do let us know how the lecture goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this series seems tailor-made for Ciao Domenica!!

    ReplyDelete