Monday, December 16, 2013

Getting In The Mood...


Yesterday I turned my study into a little holiday workshop. There were cards to write, presents to wrap, and gift boxes to fill. I lit a candle, put on some Christmas music, made a cup of tea and got to work. As the soft light from a late December afternoon began to bathe the scene, I took some pictures to capture the moment.

 Orange Chai candle from Diptyque made the room smell like the holidays

I love the Christmas season. Over the years, the holiday has changed for me as my children have grown up and we definitely do some things differently than we used to. But there is still the anticipation and build-up each year that never fails to give me that little jolt of happiness and excitement. I bake cookies, wrap presents, send out cards and make a big Christmas breakfast. We put a wreath on the front door, poinsettias on the porch, decorate the tree and lay garlands on the mantle. There is comfort in the traditions that never change. 

Greeting cards ready to be written

I found some nostalgic Christmas cards made by Rifle Paper Co. and Mr. Boddington's Studio at my neighborhood stationary shop. Receiving cards and sending them out is one of the loveliest customs of the holidays.


Gift Boxes

I bought these gift boxes at a holiday box-making workshop that was held at Robinson Gardens. We were given plain boxes and festive embellishments with which to decorate them. These boxes turned out to be great for filling with cookies and candy.

 The white box with the green and red ribbon and colorful baubles on top is the one I made.

 Peppermint bark and chocolate toffee go into the boxes

A cup of tea looks pretty in holiday china

This is the week to get all the last-minute jobs done. But it is also the time to watch Christmas movies, try to catch a performance of "The Nutcracker," and spend quality time with family and friends.

Slate Cheese Board

A friend gave me this great cheese board. I love how she wrapped it. So many great ideas for gifts and wrapping come from friends.

 As the afternoon got later, the light began to fade

My little study has never looked happier. It was a cozy and festive afternoon getting ready for the holidays.

What are you doing to get in the mood?

15 comments:

  1. I am, at this very moment, sitting at a Christmas-cluttered table that looks remarkably like your own. Making Christmas cards. Happy, Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little study looks festive and incredibly tidy. I have packages, boxes, papers and ribbons strewn from one end to the other. I am ready to begin the baking. It is the journey to Christmas which makes me happiest. Have a wonderful week! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at these photos puts me in the Christmas mood! What a lovely set up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dealing with MEDICARE for my MOM!Actually, it went very well………..the phone, the questions etc…….all behind me now!I will wrap the last bit today and then I start to enjoy lunches with friends and plan the FEASTS to be eaten!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS DOMENICA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy, busy up until the last minute I'm sure. I'm most excited that both kids will be home for Christmas! Let the festivities begin! Merry Christmas Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your study is very festive, the wrappings, the tea, the candle... I'm not as tidy as you, but I am enjoying immensely the holiday season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luli, my mess was actually on the side of the room not in this photo! Wishing you a very happy holiday!
      All the best, Sunday

      Delete
    2. Ha. I love your honesty. I forgot to mention earlier that I'm in love with your bookcase behind your grand desk. I was able to recognize a couple of the books on your shelf.

      Delete
  7. You have succeeded in getting me in the mood for an afternoon of present wrapping, Sunday. How festive and cozy your study is.
    Here on the Cutoff, the trees are decorated, candles lit every night, especially for dinner, and the spirit of the season becomes us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These quiet moments are very special at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. We have a wreath on the door and large white poinsettias flanking it. This is the most exciting Christmas for me in many years, as it's my granddaughter's first, and I've having fun going to toy stores and things I haven't done for years! My son-in-law is Swedish on both sides, and we're going to there home for Christmas morning, and as a surprise I'm making Swedish pancakes, which I hope will turn into a tradition now for our growing family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your holiday time posts! You are such an inspiration. We saw a beautiful performance of Handels Messiah last weekend and will catch The Nutracker this weekend, always a family tradition...Hope to make it to mass with the children, not always a family with my family, but one I grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monique, for your kind words! Your holiday traditions sound very special. My daughters always loved going to The Nutcracker when they were little.

      Delete
  11. I like to watch my favorite Christmas movies, bake and drive around looking at holiday lights. Enjoy your week leading up to Christmas day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunday...I am like you in doing the same things for Christmas every year. i have Christmas decorations on the tree I have collected since childhood. I must say your blog made me feel more calm about being behind in all the shopping and cooking I must do this next week. You make it seem doable and fun.

    ReplyDelete