Monday, February 2, 2015

The Girl On The Train



Sometimes it is so satisfying to escape into a thriller. To open up a book and be swept into the world of a murder mystery. To discover a book that you can't put down. I love this genre but usually watch it rather than read it. "Sherlock," "Broadchurch," and "Grantchester" are just a few of the televised murder mysteries I have enjoyed. Enjoyed may be too weak a word; devoured would be more accurate. They are delicious.

The problem is that I read so much "literary" fiction, I never seem to have time to escape into my guilty pleasure. But last week after reading a review of The Girl on the Train from one of my favorite book bloggers, I went out and bought a copy and devoured it in a couple of days. It was delicious. I was happy that someone I respected liked the book because even though it just moved into the number one slot on The New York Times bestseller list, there is no agreement from book reviewers about its merits. I have read favorable and unfavorable reviews. I am so glad I went on my gut instinct and decided for myself. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

"The Girl On The Train" does not have a tortured and soulful detective at its center but instead a deeply flawed main character Rachel, who is also one of its narrators. Her life is a mess; unable to have children, she is depressed, divorced and an alcoholic. She has been fired from her job in London and, in an effort to keep the news from her roommate, continues to take the train into the city each day and return on the evening commute. This is a way to fill up her empty days as well as do some surreptitious drinking. She is obsessed with one part of the train commute that takes her past the house where she used to live with her ex-husband Tom. He now lives in the same house with his new wife Anna. Although she can't look at that house without pain, she focuses on another one, that of a beautiful young couple, Megan and Scott, who are frequently on their terrace and within viewing distance. Rachel fantasizes about their seemingly perfect lives. Until one day she sees something alarming and decides to get involved in solving a crime.

The problem with Rachel doing anything helpful, for herself or anyone else, is that she has frequent black-outs and a spotty memory due to drinking. She is the textbook unreliable narrator. Megan and Anna also tell their stories and the three narratives become inextricably connected. The job for the reader is to pick up clues along the way, evaluate three troubled and mostly unlikeable women and their male partners, and understand that some things are not what they seem. The ride to the conclusion is a thrilling one. I read the last few chapters on the edge of my seat.

The book feels contemporary in its focus on psychological and social issues such as depression, obsession, loneliness, domestic violence, and alcoholism. But it was the old-fashioned thrill ride of the suspense that kept me reading. I predict all of these elements will keep this book on the best seller list for a long time to come. Pick up a copy and let yourself escape into this gripping murder mystery; it's one you will remember for a long time. And go here to read a fascinating article about Paula Hawkins and how she came to write this book.

14 comments:

  1. I had been thinking of this book after reading the very same NYT review. Thank you for confirming what sounds like an excellent read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds so good! What a brilliant review! This book is definitely going on my TBR pile!

    Miranda xxx http://mirandasnotebook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading and hearing about this book just about everywhere, I've placed a hold on it at the library. My reading tastes are the same as yours, Sunday, but every once in awhile a piece of contemporary fiction calls out. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since Nancy Drew books were my favorites a child/young girl, I don't know why I'm so surprised that all of a sudden I'm becoming engrossed with mysteries. It's a new genre for me to read (like you, I've always enjoyed watching them - but almost felt guilty reading them.) I've gone back and forth about buying this book as it's had (as you said) so many mixed reviews. But, I do seem to love unreliable narrators and your description makes me wish I had it in my hands this moment. Off to Diesel today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... I was going to wait until all the hype died down, but you make me want to run out and get a copy today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this review..I love to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunday, I love it when you give such an enthusiastic review right before my book group meets. I love taking your suggestion with me. This sounds like a fun, intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ciao Domenica! I love reading your posts. Since this post of your is about books, I thought you may enjoy my blog, Read me; www.readmeblogsite.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have not seen any reviews on this book or even heard of it! Off to remedy that,adore a good mystery hooked on many American authors especially Elizabeth George and her English lord detective .m

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunday, A "teacher friend" was just telling about this book on the playground today. She loved it as well. I haven't had much time for reading...for anything lately, but have added it too my "to read list". I hope you are having a wonderful week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I also love suspense novels that sweep you away and give you a good old-fashioned thrilling read. And I'm so flattered that I am one of your favorite book bloggers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coming from Hostess of the Humble Bungalow. Saw your blog and the title of this book. I've been hearing about it and you made me buy it. Next one to be read. If you enjoyed the British version of "BroadChurch" I'd suggest you watch "Happy Valley." It's another excellent British series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely devoured this book, too--it was hard to put down!

    Oh, I second what Sandy had to say about Happy Valley--it's a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to recommend reading the book The Girl on the Train: A Novel.
    I just finished reading it today, and my conclusion is that its a really good book.

    I ordered mine from Amazon and they delivered it in just TWO days.
    Here is a link for the book on Amazon:
    http://amzn.to/2bmQFNj

    ReplyDelete