Friday, July 29, 2011

Staying Home


This week I have been a little under the weather and stayed home most of the time.  I was told to take it easy and that is exactly what I did.  The good news is that I am now feeling so much better.  And the additional good news is my discovery that slowing down is wonderful!

I really enjoyed being home and found so many things to do.  Here are some of the pleasures I discovered in my house.

********

Having visitors!  On Monday I had the wonderful treat of a visit from one of my favorite bloggers Lisa Borgnes Giramonti of "A Bloomsbury Life."  We have long wanted to get together to share our Bloomsbury interests and we finally did it.  I am hoping one day to hear the lecture she has written on books she has loved and her decorating aesthetic.  I showed her some of the books I've collected over the years and she told me about hers as well.  We talked over coffee in the kitchen and and she brought me this wonderful treasure.   



Cutting flowers from the garden.  It really is bliss to have fresh cut flowers in the house.



Making the ordinary into something beautiful.  I went out into the garden and picked oranges and lemons to  float in a pitcher of water.  First observation about doing this is, I don't ever drink enough water.  Second, now not only am I drinking more but I am putting it in a beautiful pitcher and floating lemon and orange slices in it.  And this is just for me!



Looking at the garden and figuring things out.  We added these new plants to one of the small garden areas.


We also filled in some of the empty spots in the parterres and they look a lot better.



Reading.  I have been immersed in this book.  Gerald and Sara Murphy are fascinating.



Enjoying a solitary lunch.  I cooked a wonderful meal one day that included Greek Panzanella Salad.

Greek Panzanella Salad from Barefoot Contessa

Revisiting a favorite television show.  I rewatched all of "Downton Abbey."  I love it.  Each scene is like a painting.  I am obsessed with the three sisters --  Lady Sybil, Lady Mary and Lady Edith.  And the servants --  Anna, Gwen, and Mr. Bates.  What will happen to them all after World War I is declared?


I have felt so peaceful.  Staying home fostered all kinds of dreams and plans.  I enjoyed listening to the sounds of nature and paying attention to the details in my house.  I need to do this more often!



11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful week, even though you are house bound you managed to nuture yourself with a friends visit,, a book, a good meal and your beautiful garden. It really is the little and simple things in life isn't it?

    I hope you are feeling better. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear that you and Lisa got together. Isn't she just the most delightful girl? Next time, it's the three of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh me too!! I've been on super speed and I'm just dying to take some time off!! I love this post!! I assume that first shot is your house - Sunday I LOVE it. So gracious and elegant with such beautiful millwork!! And your flowers are stunning!! I love that you got together with Lisa - you two must have had a ton to talk about!! I need to do that with the water - I never drink enough!! So much inspiration here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your blog, through a Bloomsbury Life. I look forward to Lisa's posts and how lovely that you met her. She looks to be so joyful and full of fun. Your week of rest sounds blissfull and I love the variety of your days.
    Looking forward to reading your earlier posts
    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, yes I agree, it really is the little things that matter. Thank you for your kind wishes!

    Pamela, whenever you are in Los Angeles, please let me know and we will all get together, you, me, and Lisa!

    Stacey, yes that shot is of my house. And it was such a joy just to stay home! Regarding the water, it really helps to put lemons in it, the water is so refreshing that way. I hope you will try it.

    Helen, i also love Lisa's blog. I have been reading it from the beginning. She is a true inspiration. And yes, in so many respects my week was blissful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a cozy week! I loved lazing about the house last Sunday. It's the perfect place to relax into. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunday....all the things you love I love. Every morning I watch the wild bunnies living in my garden thinking they are at the Four Seasons. I even buy flowers I know they love just as treats for them. Nature is wonderful to observe.
    I am also truly enjoying Everybody was so Young. I read The Paris Wife, then A Moveable Feast and now this. I think I want to go back and read more Fitzgerald and Hemingway. Judie Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post, and an important reminder for all of us to slow down and appreciate the important things. I do hope you're feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful post/blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like your really took control of your coziness! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun to slow down and give us a glimpse of your beautiful home and gardens. They are gorgeous. I'll have to check into "Downtown Abbey". That looks like it would interest me. I working my way through a series called "Monarch of the Glen". Its all filmed on at a remote castle in Scotland. Its quirky and silly but I love the insights to Scottish Highland living.

    ReplyDelete