Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Eye Candy

Eden roses in bloom
April, 2013 

"Do you ever find yourself bursting into a sort of lunatic laughter at the sheer prettiness of things?
-- Beverley Nichols

Beverley Nichols has to be the funniest garden writer of all time. Now is a great time to read him. Of course, writers have been writing odes to spring forever. It must be the quintessential season of "prettiness." It is easy at this time of the year to develop a serious case of spring fever. You know the feeling -- you walk outside and everything looks so beautiful and smells so fresh you want to jump for joy. Here are a few of the best things about spring, along with some quotes by writers who were inspired by "the sheer prettiness of things."


Seeing a favorite flower return
Garden Conservancy's Open Days -- May, 2014

"I will touch a hundred flowers and not pick one." -- Edna St. Vincent Millay


Going to a garden party
Garden Conservancy's Open Days -- May, 2014

"And after all the weather was ideal. 
They could not have had a more perfect day for a garden-party if they had ordered it." -- Katherine Mansfield



Admiring the blossoming trees
Our pear tree -- April, 2013

"There are so  many bird-cherries round me, great trees with branches sweeping the grass, and they are so wreathed just now with white blossoms and tenderest green that the garden looks like a wedding."
-- Elizabeth Von Armin



 Reading a beloved garden writer
Down The Garden Path by Beverley Nichols

"A garden is a place for shaping a little world of your own according to your heart's desire."
-- Beverley Nichols


Watching a garden come back to life
The Cotswolds, England -- Spring, 2010

"Spring drew on...and a greenness grew over those brown beds, which, freshening daily, suggests the thought that Hope traversed them at night, and left each morning brighter traces of her steps."
-- Charlotte Bronte


Celebrating with afternoon tea
Mother's Day -- May, 2014

"Tea was served in the dining room -- a wonderful spread with farm butter, honey in the comb, home-made cakes and currant loaf, served in a pink lustre tea service." -- Gerald Brenan


Going on a garden tour -- Robinson Gardens Tour is on May 17
Virginia Robinson Gardens -- May, 2013

"It is spring again,
The earth is like a child
that knows poems by heart."
-- Rainer Maria Rilke

It may be that spring has inspired the greatest outpouring of joy by writers. Do you have a favorite book that conjures up the season? Mine is The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Armin. It tells the story of four unhappy British women who go to Italy in April and are reborn. It gets me every time. And what about a favorite quote? There are so many. I love the one about the trees by Elizabeth Von Armin (from Elizabeth And Her German Garden) and may never see blossoming trees any other way!

 "...they are so wreathed just now with white blossoms and tenderest green that the garden looks like a wedding."

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful, just beautiful.
    xx's Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly Nichols is the patron saint of my garden. I just adore him! Thanks for the gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Eden roses! I need some if only someone else would make sure I don't kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planted Eden last year and this year it is performing!!
    Beautiful quotes and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks so enchanting....and beautiful.
    I have never read Enchanted April, I must as I love the film that was made many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you read cookbooks and gardening books, something I never do. This is a beautiful post and makes me want to read, or at least look at a Beverly Nichols book. Wish I could go to the Robinson Garden event on Saturday - next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. I just finished reading The VIrago Book of Women Gardeners and, though not specifically spring-like, it is the perfect book for spring! I've been out working in the garden every day since I started reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photographs. Now I want to reread The Enchanted April... how I loved that book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for beautiful photographs. The first one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how you find such beautiful photographs consistently. Reading your blog always puts me in a good mood! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been so long since I really savored a great book enough to underline and save its passages. Thank you for reminding me to seek our those special treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will have to read The Enchanted April. I read Beverley Nichols' Down the Garden Path a couple winter's ago after I read your comments about it here. It is so very funny.

    I completely concur with your sentiments about spring. This spring I have buds on my 2 Eden climbing roses for the first time. I think I'll have to throw a party when they bloom!

    Happy spring!
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keri, that would be exactly what Beverley Nichols would do!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply "Beautiful", expressions and photography!
    Thanks for sharing spring..............

    ReplyDelete
  15. A feast for the senses, Sunday.
    I love Beverley Nichols, most especially Down the Garden Path, and you've the very best quotes to accompany your photos.
    I don't necessarily have a favorite book that conjures up the season of spring, but, I always find myself pulling Tasha Tudor's Garden off the shelf, immersing myself in the lush photographs of Robert Brown and the whimsical writing within its pages.

    ReplyDelete