Thursday, July 10, 2014

Virginia Woolf Exhibition in London

A portrait of Virginia Woolf by Vanessa Bell
Image via here

The National Portrait Gallery in London is one of my favorite places to visit. It contains portraits of some of the most well-known British figures from the past and present. It is a visual feast for the Anglophile. Everywhere you look are the faces of people you have read about. History comes to life. There are portraits from the Tudor times to the present day. And many of my favorite writers are there. The painting of the Bronte sisters by their brother Branwell, creased in the middle after years of being folded up and sitting atop a cupboard at Haworth House in Yorkshire, is one I always visit. I also always check out the Gallery's great collection of Bloomsbury portraits. There is a fabulous painting of Vanessa Bell by Duncan Grant and one of E.M. Forster by Carrington that I just love.

Today is the opening of a very special exhibition devoted entirely to Virginia Woolf: "Virginia Woolf:  Art, Life and Vision." The first exhibition of her in portraits, it is curated by the Bloomsbury Group biographer Frances Spaulding and features more than 100 items, including personal items such as family photographs, letters and diaries, as well as paintings and sculptures of her by the Bloomsbury artists. There are also works by Picasso and Man Ray, as well as first editions from the Hogarth Press. The exhibition is a visual biography of Woolf's entire life, from her birth in 1882 to her suicide in 1941. The goal is to shed light on her personal and public life and help people know her better.

When I found out about this exhibition, you may have heard me shouting for joy because I will be in London just in time to see it. Virginia Woolf is one of my favorite writers and I have been reading her, as well as collecting books on her and the Bloomsbury Group for many years. I have a postcard of her from the National Portrait Gallery that sits on my desk.

After doing a little research, I have learned a few things about the show. The three most poignant items in the exhibition are the two farewell letters Virginia wrote to her sister Vanessa and her husband Leonard before committing suicide, and her walking stick she left on the bank of the River Ouse, near Monk's House, before drowning herself. These items have never been on display before. I have the chills just thinking about seeing these.

Last October when I was in London I took a day trip to Monk's House, the country home of Virginia and Leonard Woolf. It is an unpretentious house with many of the rooms painted Virginia's favorite shade of green and it feels as if she and Leonard have just stepped out for a walk. The beauty and serenity of the garden and Virginia's sunny book-filled bedroom reminded me of the bliss I knew she had found there. It was her sanctuary. The house and garden practically sang out with the conversations and creative work that occurred there during those years. It is hard to believe that this is where she ended her life at age 59.

It sounds as if the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery will give us the full spectrum of Virginia Woolf's life. Just like one of her novels, it promises to evoke all aspects of a life: the ups and downs, the pains and joys, the struggles and triumphs. Can't wait to see this.

  My study and Virginia

If you live in England or are planning to visit soon, I would love to know if you are going to see this exhibition. 
Are you a fan of Virginia Woolf?

11 comments:

  1. Yesterday I was thinking the book benches around the city might be enough reason to plan a trip... now this.I need to visit London again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday, how very interesting! I have not ready Virginia Woolf's books, but they are on my 'mental' list to do so. I have read a lot about Bloomsbury, Angelica Garnett, other people associated with Bloomsbury. This would be an intriguing exhibition to attend. I wrote Angelica Garnett at her home in France and she responded. This was very shortly before she died. I so appreciated her taking time to send me a note. Your posts are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like the wonderful in depth type of show that really helps you get inside the period of history and person that is represented. I wish I could go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you'll get to see this exhibition! I'll be in London in late March, but I doubt it'll still be showing. I do hope to get to the National Gallery, though. I've been doing some genealogical research on my family and found that some of them are there in the Gallery! So excited to see them! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This news has me wondering if I can somehow plan a trip to London before the exhibit ends. I do have two weeks off from work in September... I am utterly fascinated by Virginia Woolf. I have only ever read Mrs. Dalloway (and found it a revelation) but I have read many of her diaries and am amazed by her intelligence, wit and brave struggle to create art in the midst of mental illness and self-doubt. Thanks for writing about this, Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you can make it. This exhibition will be very special. I have also read her diaries and her letters, many of which are very poignant. As well as witty, catty, and gossipy. She knew how to weave a tale. Even her letters are beautifully written; that woman didn't know how to write a bad sentence. I have a feeling I may visit this exhibition more than once!

      Delete
  6. Yes, I'm going and cannot wait!
    So thrilled that this exhibit is coinciding with my trip in September.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we meet for tea? I am sending you an email!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oof, just lost a long comment I wrote about my Bloomsbury addiction. Long story to say I am an American living in France. Was in London briefly this past week and saw the announcement of this exhibit. Planning a weekend to see it right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fellow addict, I am very happy to hear about your Bloomsbury addiction. You are so lucky to be living relatively close to this exhibition. I think it will be wonderful. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. I saw the exhibit on Saturday. Very, very poignant. Go early, as the exhibit is in a small space, and you'll want to look closely at the photos and letters. I was surprised at how moved I was by the letters to Vanessa and Leonard, having read the text of the letters previously--in her own hand, oh my! If the day is fine, have tea in the restaurant on the roof for the wonderful view over Trafalgar Square over to the Houses of Parliament.

    ReplyDelete