Monday, March 16, 2015

Hello, Spring

Photo via here

Just in time for spring, the next exhibition at the New York Botanical Garden is The Orchid Show: Chandeliers and it will be up when I go to New York in April. I feel so lucky to be able to see it. How delightful does this exhibition sound -- "Arranged in hanging baskets conceived as chandeliers, the blossoms will be high and low and as far as the eye can see." I am officially swooning. Spring is almost here and there are so many things to look forward to. Here a few that are making my heart skip a beat:


Helen Mirren playing Queen Elizabeth II
Photo via here

 The Audience starring Helen Mirren -- another must-see on my trip to New York!


Clos-Maggiore Restaurant in London
Photo via here

Eating every meal outside. I was so inspired when I saw this photo of the gorgeous Clos-Maggiore  in Covent Garden. The patio has an open fire, potted trees, and a flower-strewn ceiling. It has been called the most romantic restaurant in London. I am adding this one to my travel file. Go here to read more.



Cooking Elizabeth David's vegetable recipes from this new cookbook and using the fabulous spring produce at the farmer's markets right now.


Photo via here

Dreaming about rose-covered houses

I would love to coax my roses into growing up the arbor in my backyard, not such an easy task


 Rose garden at Sissinghurst Castle
Photo via here

Learning more about roses. Mine need a lot of work and I am hoping to take a rose class this spring. Robinson Gardens is offering one in April.



Going to this fabulous Tea with Turner event put on by Literary Affairs. It starts with a curated tour of the Turner exhibition at the Getty Center followed by a cooking class on how to prepare a proper English tea. Go here to learn more.


Season 2 of "Broadchurch"
Photo via here

Watching the second season of Broadchurch

Did you know there is a Thomas Hardy connection? I read a fabulous article about the show in Harper's Bazaar U.K., written by its creator and writer Chris Chibnall. He loves the English writer Thomas Hardy and is a firm believer in the power of landscapes and their influence on people. He writes that "...Broadchurch is my love letter to the landscapes...This is Thomas Hardy country: he understood and wrote about this savage, beautiful scenery better than anyone." He goes on to say that "Broadchurch" is peppered with references to Thomas Hardy, from the name of David Tennant's character, Alec Hardy to the name of the local police force, Wessex Police.


Reading Nina Stibbe's first novel
Photo via here

I can't resist a novel that will make me laugh and this one is being compared to Cold Comfort Farm and I Capture the Castle. It's about two sisters who try to marry off their divorced mother. The New York Times called it a "jaunty British social satire." You may remember Nina Stibbe's very funny memoir Love, Nina about her life working as a nanny for a high-powered literary editor in London. Man at the Helm is her first novel. I can't wait to read this one.


Robinson Gardens, May, 2013

And, as always, going on these fabulous garden tours, a rite of spring here in Los Angeles.

Garden Conservancy Open Days Tour takes place on April 26 in Pasadena and May 3 in Los Angeles.

The Robinson Gardens annual tour takes place on May 16. Go here to learn more.

If you don't know about Garden Conservancy, be sure to go to the website. There may be garden tours happening in your neck of the woods. They are always so inspiring!

15 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post! I had tickets to see Helen Mirren in The Audience when it was here a few years ago, but had to miss it because I was sick. I was so cross! Still, a friend is taking me in May to see Kristen Scott Thomas in it so I can't complain. Would love to hear what you think of it though! I loved that article on London's most romantic restaurant too - I so want to go! Thank you again for giving yet another fabulous book recommendation too. Man at the Helm sounds brilliant, and I really want to read Love, Nina too. Enjoy the orchid show! It sounds glorious!

    Miranda xxx http://mirandasnotebook.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miranda. What a shame you had to miss Helen Mirren's performance. But I think that Kristen Scott Thomas will be fabulous in the role.
      xx Sunday

      Delete
  2. What a happy post, too! A coworker introduced me to Broadchurch last year and now it's esp. fun to talk about it at work. I didn't make the connection to Thomas Hardy - how interesting. I'm also looking forward to Man at the Helm -- I enjoyed Love, Nina a lot. And all your other springy photos were very cheering to a snow-weary Bostonian. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey,
      I hope your weather improves and that spring arrives in Boston very soon! What a tough winter you have had!

      Delete
  3. It's so nice to hear the birds singing again! We're really enjoying the National Theatre presentations at our local cinema which means we were able to see The Audience without leaving the city limits. The way Helen Mirren transforms to a different stage of the Queen's life in just a few seconds is pure stage magic. And if the film Mr. Turner starring Timothy Spall plays anywhere near you...see it! I know you'll love it, Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the Turner exhibition and that event sounds fun. New York in the Spring is so perfect and it sounds like you have wonderful plans made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous post. So much good stuff. Surprised to see pink roses at Sissinghurst. Would love to go to that Tea party at The Getty. Will defi nitly see the show. Loved "Broadchurch" also loved "Happy Valley." Those Brits know how to do it. Just a perfect Springtime post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are expecting snow here tomorrow but I think by Spril we should have spring! If you are free for a cup of tea (or something stronger) while you are east, please do let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail,
      Yes, would love to. Let's make a plan.
      xx Sunday

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Hi Gail, thanks for your info, will be in touch!

      Delete
  7. We are so truly of the same mind! Such fascinating similarities.
    xoxo,
    p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Elizabeth David. I'll be on the lookout for her vegetables book! You always give such great book recommendations. I'll be adding Man at the Helm to my list too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Spring sounds lovely. Yes, I too have been working on forcing my roses to climb up the side of my house. i am not having much success... Enjoy this first weekend of Spring. We are just beginning to return to normal....at least for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. The Tea With Turner event sounds really interesting. Enjoy spring. It is a lovely time of year.

    ReplyDelete