Monday, November 11, 2013

To Italy, With Love

Aperol Spritz Cocktail
Four Seasons Hotel in Florence

Italy is truly a feast for the senses. And autumn is one of the best times to visit. The weather is cool and comfortable and the crowds are smaller. The flower stalls, restaurants, and farmers markets are all bursting with autumnal glories. We arrived in Florence in the evening and our visit began with an Aperol Spritz, a delicious drink of Aperol and Prosecco. This delectable concoction became our favorite late afternoon ritual. It is so easy to embrace la dolce vita in Italy. In addition all its cultural attractions (and the list is endless!), Italy offers daily lessons in the art of living well. If I had to decide what I loved best about Italy, it would be hard to choose. There are so many pleasures...

The Food

Trattoria Da Omero up above Florence

Pasta with eggplant at Da Omero

Contorni --they do vegetables so well

Tiny and charming Lola's Cafe

Mushroom Risotto at Lola's

Apple pie, Italian style


Biscotti and Vin Santo at Da Ruggero, so simple and perfect

 Cammillo restaurant, another gem

 The Churches

San Miniato al Monte
Walking through these old and exquisite churches makes the Renaissance come alive

Basilica di San Miniato al Monte

Basillica di Santa Maria Novella

Santa Felicita

The Views

Everywhere you look is a postcard






The Markets


I have never been more inspired by food than in Italy

Dried fruits

Pastas

Hams and salamis

Biscotti

Fruit and Nuts

Panforte for Christmas

Beautiful flowers also

 The Style and Beauty


The Bar at The Four Seasons Hotel

Love this detail

Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella



Beauty products at Santa Maria Novella

China at the Porcelain Museum, Pitti Palace



The Grandeur


Pitti Palace

Boboli Gardens


 The Nooks and Crannies


Florence is a small city and very walkable. One of its greatest pleasures are the little streets and alleyways filled with charm and antiquity.








And gelato around every corner


The Art


Marino Marini Museum

There is nothing more awe-inspiring than seeing a roomful of Botticellis at the Uffizi Gallery or Michelangelo's "David" at the Accademia. But it is also satisfying to go to a small museum and see the art of one man and practically have the museum to yourself. The Marino Marini Museum is a such a place. You can sit down and view it all without feeling rushed.


Florence, you won my heart. 

Next up, Lake Como...

13 comments:

  1. I adored our visit to Florence two years ago. Thank you for bringing back the memories. Everywhere you look does look like a postcard. That's a great way to express the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought a smile upon my face today...I love EVERYWHERE you walked. Cannot recall the name but behind Bartolozzi Antichita on Via Maggio, on a side street is a jeweler of such magnificence Lorenzo Medici himself would patronize. When I was there many years ago, he was making a necklace and ring for the then widow of Steve Ross, founder of TimeWarner...she was marrying the following day at San Miniato. I still wear the Earrings he made for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY!I was married at SAN Miniato al Monte.Looks like you had a beautiful trip!Just a note DAVID is not at the PITTI............unless they moved him!I cannot wait for COMO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND I know SUNDAY HENDRICKSON!!!!SMALL WORLD.I wrote her about you and she wrote back saying she knows YOU!!!!

      Delete
    2. Contessa, what a small world! Please tell her hello from me! I remember years ago reading Victoria Magazine and seeing her name on the masthead. I loved finding another Sunday! I am off to check out your blog.

      Delete
  4. The Marino Marini museum is one of my favorites in the world. So glad you got there. Italy is so alive, isn't it? I love everything about it. Looking forward to your Lake Como post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, it is because of you that we went to the Marino Marini museum. What a gem! Thank you for the great tip!

      Delete
  5. I've always dreamed of eating my way through Italy. It looks like it will be great fun. I love the hideaways too. They always end up being most special. I love following your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunday, Your photographs are picture postcard perfect. I love traveling through your posts. Thanks, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! You've made me even more excited to revisit Florence--this time next year, when my daughter will be spending a college semester there, as I did 20+ years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mouthwatering, all of it, not just the food! I have never been to the Marini Museum and I love his work - one to add to my list. Your photos are beautiful. Now I'm looking forward to Como!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Florence, my favorite city in the world! Art and beauty everywhere you turn. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete