Monday, July 30, 2012

Summer Beauty

"It is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top."
-- Virginia Woolf

Summer can be a great time for inspiration.  It is well known that when we daydream our minds are free to roam and we can come up with imaginative creations or stumble upon creative solutions to problems.  And in the summer, when the pace is slower and we are often relaxing, we can get our best ideas and find inspiration for our everyday life. Sometimes it is just a matter of getting away from our own environment to see things more clearly.  Our thoughts take off and we suddenly come up with an inspired thought or notion, an idea or a plan  At this time of the year everything is fresh and lush, colors are vivid, and there is beauty and fragrance wherever we look.  We may be traveling or staying in our own neighborhood when it happens.  But no matter where,  the mood is the same -- relaxation, surrounded by beauty, and then the great idea.  Here are a few images that might lead to some summertime dreaming and arriving at that moment of inspiration!  

 Bougainvillea at the San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito, California

Lush pergola at the Getty Villa in Malibu

A vista in Napa, California that looks like the Italian countryside

The grandeur of nature in Sun Valley, Idaho

Closer to home, a neighborhood country mart on a summer day -- the beauty of a simple red barn

 A midsummer's night dream at "The Plow and Angel" restaurant in Montecito

Contemplating garden beauty in faraway places
Monet's home in Giverny, France

And places nearby, in a neighbor's vegetable garden

 Or in a Pasadena garden that was on the Garden Conservancy tour 

And right on the kitchen table -- hydrangeas and roses from the garden

Let your mind wander and dream, be sure to take notes, because as someone once said, "life is not a dress rehearsal."  Let's put some of these great ideas into motion!   Maybe it's an idea for that book or short story you've always wanted to write.  Or maybe it's a system for organizing your books or files, wherever it is you go for inspiration. Having it organized will make your life and your writing easier.  That is my current project, and I am loving how good I already feel!  How about that gardening or art class you have always wanted to take?  Why not learn a new language? I want to take more French classes, having taken them in the past and would love to pick them up again.  Or maybe joining a yoga class or taking bridge lessons is something you'd love to do.  Of course you could always start a blog! 

There are endless ideas out there for us to execute.  Fall is around the corner and it is always a time of exciting and creative activity.  Let's get ready!  Happy dreaming!  


10 comments:

  1. Sunday,

    What lovely images of summer! I am in awe of your neighbors garden, it is so beautiful!

    And your roses and hygragneas look lovely.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    I have posted a link to this post on my facebook page, I wanted everyone of my 35 friends to see such lovely photos.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday, the pictures are lovely and the inspiration is even lovelier. Your post is well timed....I've been feeling a bit glum from the heat, you have given me a much needed boost. Thank you! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful locations in your photographs. Like you I find inspiration everywhere. Travel, decorating, cooking and I certainly see it on your beautiful kitchen table with the hydrangeas and roses.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful images...
    I feel like I've been on a bit of a holiday seeing them.

    Love your vase of flowers. Great roses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This hasn't been an idle summer for me at all. New home and remodel, 60th birthday, and my daughter's wedding, all happy things, but no time to daydream or drift. Full time planning and organization. I plan on having at least some summer idleness for this autumn - it's so needed to get creative juices flowing. Beautiful images, thank you. I've been enjoying the red barn almost daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree more.
    Those quiet moments when nothing seems to be stirring.... oh, the ideas they produce!!
    I often hatch my most ambitious plans whilst sitting stock still in traffic.
    xoxo,
    p

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an inspiring post, Sunday. Thank you, now I have to go decide which ambition to pursue :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always put off trying something new until the autumn. I guess it's because of all those years of school. I'm thinking about trying archery again. I tried it one summer as a kid and really loved it. I also need to do some serious French and German review! (And maybe even Latin if I get around to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. I've found you via Bonnie's living life blog and was intrigued because you mentioned Barbara Pym. She is so very English! I have just finished a book of short stories by another English writer (not the actress!) Elizabeth Taylor. If you are a Pym fan then I think that you will enjoy her writing very much.
    Do you know the book 'The Enchanted April'? It combines England and Italy very nicely and is one of my favourites. It's a bit like a fairy tale and so good to read when it's tipping down with rain here in Blighty - as it has been doing for most of the year!
    Lovely photographs; flowers, your neighbour's garden, sunshine, aahh!!

    ReplyDelete