Monday, September 19, 2011

The Heart of the Home


This is the time of year when I love being in the kitchen.  Although here in Los Angeles we do not yet have autumnal scenes such as the one above from Woodstock, Vermont, our weather is getting cooler and there is a definite nip in the air.  I think the season makes its presence felt in the kitchen, which for me is the heart of the house. My kitchen is beckoning and I have been organizing and getting ready for fall cooking and baking.


The kitchen cabinet looks very festive this time of the year


My cookbook collection is a happy sight


The kitchen table is set with autumnal colors


I always buy a few new cookbooks that feature fall recipes 


********

Cooking is central to this time of year.  As I go through my cookbooks I am searching for my favorite fall recipes. These are cozy dishes that make my house feel warm and welcoming, and that use seasonal ingredients.  There are two recipes that I make each fall that have become family favorites.  The first one is Roasted Fall Vegetable and Ricotta Pizza.  This recipe is from Martha Stewart.  It is perfect for a fall dinner at home.  With a fresh green salad and a glass of wine it is a perfect meal.


Roasted Fall Vegetable and Ricotta Pizza

I make this savory pizza with a whole wheat dough and two big platters of roasted vegetables.   You can substitute regular pizza dough if you like, but the whole wheat adds a special flavor.  Ricotta and mozzarella cheeses are layered in with the vegetables.  Fresh rosemary is sprinkled on top.  These are fall vegetables that include red potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and onions. You will love this delicious pizza on a cool fall night.


Spooning the ricotta cheese on top of the roasted vegetables

********

My second favorite fall recipe is an impressive cake.  Cooking with pumpkin is a must at this time of year and of course there is the ubiquitous pumpkin pie, which I love.  But I also try to find other desserts  that incorporate this wonderful ingredient.


Pumpkin Spice Cake with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting

One of my all time favorites is Pumpkin Spice Cake with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting.  I make it every year.  This recipe was featured on the cover of "Country Living" magazine many years ago.  It is a three-layer cake with delicious pumpkin flavored cream cheese frosting.  I make the cakes the day before and frost them the day I am serving it.  It is one of the best cakes I make and people go crazy for this moist, tender and flavorful cake with its luscious frosting.  I love its homespun and rustic look.  It is always a big hit.

As the weather gets cooler and we go into nesting mode, there is a comforting feeling of warming ourselves by the stove.   Maybe that is a hark back to novels I have read where the kitchen is the warmest room in the house.  It's a nostalgic feeling but it still feels true for me.  I live in the kitchen at this time of year, from brewing coffee in the morning, to cooking dinners at night.  There is the treat of snatching cups of tea in the afternoon and dreaming over cookbooks.  My computer is on my kitchen desk surrounded by cookbooks and I do most of my work here.  When I am stressed out nothing is more therapeutic than getting in the kitchen and making a big pot of soup or baking a cake. The fragrance that wafts from the kitchen and fills the house is the essence of fall for me and it all emanates from the kitchen, the true hub and haven of my house.

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely adored this post. I'm also loving the feeling of the arrival of autumn, we're definitely seeing cooler weather here in London, it's time for jackets and scarves! Your kitchen is just lovely and I'm most envious of your cook book shelf - what a plethora of inspiration! The pizza and cake both look scrumptious, I've added both recipes to my 'must try' file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is lovely. We share a like for the same colors. Love the gold table runner and your display of cookbooks on your bookshelves. I love your Vietri display. I have the Rosso Vecchio Red. I use it during the fall season and for Christmas Eve. Your Pumpkin cake looks delicious. Great fall post.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I could spend a long time browsing that cookbook collection... And that cake! Wow. I must make it. I am so ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post! Your pizza and pumpkin spice cake look delicious! I think I will make the cake to bring to a dinner pary we're attending this weekend.
    Wishing you a most lovely week~ xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and delicious looking post. Off topic, I read "Rules of Civility" yesterday and it was absolutely one of my favorite reads this year - thank you for the recommendation. The cake looks amazing, but our family is sort of a pie/crumble/clafoutis group. But the pizza would be a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not crumble - cobbler. It only took me 2 1/2 hours to remember the word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful prelude to the advent of Autumn. From your cabinet displays to your cookbooks, I've enjoyed the visit. I have some pizza dough frozen and waiting for just this time and will roasted up savory pizza style soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a time of year you don't delight in the kitchen? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Alex: I don't think so! She's a year-round delight feeler, delight maker, delight doer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, that Pumpkin Spice Cake looks devine! I am so happy fall is 'almost' here, I acutally just purchased my first Pumpkin and Gourd last Saturday at the Farmer's Market, I am soo ready to start decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the pizza and cake look so delicious! xo

    ReplyDelete