Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring

The poet Edna St. Vincent Millay
Beneath a flowering magnolia tree at Steepletop, her home in upstate New York


"I will be the gladdest thing 
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.

I will look at cliffs and clouds
With quiet eyes,
Watch the wind bow down the grass,
And the grass rise.

And when lights begin to show
Up from the town,
I will mark which must be mine,
And then start down!


 "Afternoon on a Hill" -- Edna St. Vincent Millay 


Happy Spring!

10 comments:

  1. Sunday, A beautiful photograph and poem. It just what so many are needing this spring. I hope you are enjoying a pleasant spring. Have a lovely weekend. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful ~ I read a wonderful biography on her about 5 years ago. Very interesting life. Just love Heather's table linens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunday,

    A happy Friday and a very happy Spring to you! A beautiful poem and a beautiful photo to brighten a cold and dreary day!

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Take care, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me about Edna St. Vincent Millay. I recall when we read her biography, Fascinating woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only.
    Here, I am bundled up in woolen turtleneck, pashminas and boots.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely poem. It 's cheered a very bleak spring day here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! I'm reading Edna St. Vincent Millay's bio now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful! Spring is taking her time here, but hope is there, made all the closer with Edna St. Vincent Millay's words.

    ReplyDelete