Monday, June 25, 2012

Lunch in the Garden



Last year I donated "Lunch in the Garden" to benefit Robinson Gardens, an organization that supports the restoration of an historic home and gardens in our community.  A group of women bought it at a silent auction, a date was chosen, and it happened last week.  I was very excited because we had been working very hard on the garden to get it looking its very best.  I planned the menu and two lovely friends helped me do the cooking.    


We set the table, decorating it with flowers and chocolate candies, and welcomed our guests.  We walked them outside and amidst happy chatter they sipped chilled glasses of Fresh Peach Bellinis and wandered through the garden. 


The weather couldn't have been better, the sun warmed our backs and the green of the leaves was an especially vivid shade.  The perfume of the star jasmine wafted through the air.  Everyone agreed it was a beautiful day for eating outside.


We sat down on the patio for lunch and toasted the beginning of summer.  There was a lot of talk about summer travel plans, good books, new movies, and even blogging!  Here is what we served:

 Zucchini SoupArugula Salad with Lemon VinaigretteRoasted Shrimp with Feta, and Eton Mess



After the party was over and everyone was gone, I brought in all the flowers from outside and my kitchen looked festive for days!  


As I enjoyed the long lasting beauty of the flowers, I thought about the garden lunch -- it was a wonderful day of being outside, dining alfresco, laughing, talking about many different topics and getting to know a wonderful group of women, who stayed for most of the afternoon!


After thinking about it all, I realized that my favorite thing to donate to a charity event is an experience such as this.  I think that the people who purchase it enjoy the event, in this case a lunch, and the person who donates it can have a lot of fun putting it together.  Especially if you do it with the help of friends.  It gets you into the kitchen, motivates you to work on your garden, and gives you an opportunity to meet some very generous and lovely new friends.  Everyone feels good because they all contributed to a worthwhile cause, and had a very good time doing it!

15 comments:

  1. Oh what a wonderful thing to donate!
    I love your garden views...so interesting and lush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy a peek into your garden, Sunday. Adding food to the mix, sublime.

    We have donated the gift of a meal in our home for raffles as well and always end up feeling we've gained more than we've given. How right you are in that everyone benefits. A beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to get a glimpse into your beautiful garden and home. Such a lovely way to donate; a gift of yourself. Everything looks perfectly delicious. I especially am quite taken with your tablecloth. So fresh! Thanks for the peek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to see your home. Having just had a party I'm loving the flowers that now adorn most surfaces & serve as a reminder of a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly now how to entertain Sunday! Particularly love the table flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As beautiful as the flowers are, I'm kind of feeling that the dessert is a very close rival. Have already printed the recipe.
    The landscaping in your backyard is so beautiful. The English garden organization of it, makes me feel so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sunday, Peach Bellinis are my favorite. The luncheon sound divine; a beautiful table, delicious food and great conversation. Truly what more could anyone want. Your gardens and home are lovely. Thank you for sharing. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great You have a very nice webdesign here on your page i like it very much and have add your blog to my favorites.This is a really excellent read personally, Must admit that you are one of the finest bloggers I ever saw. We truly stumbled about this on yahoo, and im happy Used to do. I’ll definitely be coming back again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is quite possibly the closest thing I've seen to heaven on earth. And that food looks pretty heavenly, too. What lucky ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect afternoon! Your garden is so beautiful and vibrant - your new friends were so lucky to get to spend a day with your garden and with you. I can't wait to try the zucchini soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Your garden is breath-taking. And I can imagine beautiful piano music tinkling from the guest house...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic garden and lunch....I'm making Eton Mess for my book club on Friday. Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a lovely garden. Pretty arrangements, beautiful sights and a hearty meal, perfect. Got my eye on your blog now.

    ReplyDelete