Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Fall Reading List

Monks House
Sussex, England -- October, 2013

With fall right around the corner (and it can't get here soon enough for me!), I have put together a fall reading list. When the weather cools down, I am always in the mood to curl up with a good book and there are so many I want to read. Some lovely books have been accumulating on my "to-be-read" shelf. I love looking at them and wonder if you, like me, have noticed how beautiful books are becoming. It could be that publishers are trying to win over the e-book crowd or perhaps the designers of book covers are feeling especially inspired right now. Whatever the reason, we seem to be experiencing a renaissance of beautiful books. The art work on the dust jackets is simply stunning. Here is my fall reading list. It includes new releases and classics. These books promise enlightenment as well as beauty!


I am more than halfway through The Essex Serpent and love it. This novel is a Victorian love story with gothic undertones that takes place at the crossroads of science, medicine, superstition, and religion in the late nineteenth century. The events occur under the shadow of a legendary monster in Essex, England. The fears and emotions stirred up by this imaginary creature are symbolic of deeper things. Those things are close to the surface in the three central characters --  the heroine Cora Seaborne, a recent widow, and the two men in her life, the Reverend William Ransome and Doctor Luke Garrett, aka The Imp. With these three Sarah Perry has created vivid characters that jump off the page; they are complicated and fascinating people whom you won't soon forget. The setting is almost a character itself and creates a haunting atmosphere that illuminates the entire book. I am completely under its spell. This is one of my Heywood Hill books (go here) and should be coming out in the U.S. very soon.


The author of "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" has written a new novel that is getting very good reviews. It takes place during the summer before World War I and depicts the fraught period just before Britain is to enter the war. Yet during that summer the idyllic countryside of Sussex maintains its charming ways. One reviewer noted that it is the contrast between pastoral peace and the violent chaos of war that gives the book its richness. A few years ago I heard Helen Simonson speak about becoming a writer (go here). She was funny and illuminating. I can't wait to read her new book. By the way, this lovely British edition was a gift from my friend Miranda Mills who writes Miranda's Notebook.


Juliet Nicolson, whose grandmother was Vita Sackville-West, has written A House Full of Daughters. It is a biography of her family which covers seven generations of women. Despite the fact that there have been many books about her ancestors, she decided to write her own. She wanted to give it her own spin, look beyond the myths and dig deeper for the hidden truths. It will be interesting to read what she discovered about her famous heritage.


The Dust That Falls From Dreams is written by Louis De Bernieres, author of "Captain Corelli's Mandolin." It is a sweeping, epic story of love told against the background of war. The novel follows the lives of one British family who try to survive the ruins of war and find happiness. I have started this one and am riveted.


I had to buy Weatherland by Alexandra Harris since weather is such a factor in all the British novels I read. It will be a fun one to dip into, especially related to authors such as Dickens and the Bronte sisters. Right now we could use some "English skies" here in Los Angeles!


A beautiful new edition by Vintage of a classic -- All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West. Vintage has reissued several of her books, including "Pepita" (her Spanish-dancer grandmother) and "The Edwardians." 


Legendary landscape designer Russell Page wrote his memoirs in 1962 and it has became a garden classic. This book is filled with charming anecdotes about patrons, colleagues and gardens, together with great advice for the gardener. It is a beautifully written book about one man's passion and craft. We are reading this for my garden book club and I can't wait to discuss it.


I discovered Angela Thirkell's novels a few years ago and she has become one of my favorite writers. Her Barsetshire series include "Wild Strawberries," "High Rising," and "Pomfret Towers," all of which I have read and enjoyed. When I was in England a few years ago I picked up several of her books and now have a wonderful collection. I pulled August Folly off the shelf last week and will read it next.


This may go under the category of guilty pleasure, but I am definitely under the spell of these books. Voyager, the third installment, may be the best one so far.


And finally, under the category of rereading favorite books: Mapp and Lucia. We just got back from Hawaii and my family laughed when they saw what I was reading. Only I would take "Mapp and Lucia" to read in Maui. Tilling, England (which is supposed to be Rye) couldn't be further from the white sand, blue ocean and palm trees of Hawaii. But it was the book I pulled off my bookshelf as we were rushing out the door to go to the airport. I have to say I had no regrets. I am finishing it now. If you love British humor, pick this one up. You won't be disappointed. It's just so funny!

18 comments:

  1. Hope you have enjoyed the summer Sunday. It has been a hot one here and the roses and hydrangeas have been beautiful...it is coming to a close and will want to cocoon with a good book on the rainy afternoons that will be here before we know it.
    I love books and many here I have not read...I have made note of all the new titles.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I want to cocoon as well, but we have so much more hot weather to come that it will probably be November before we see any relief. Fortunately I'm traveling to New England in October and will get my dose of crisp and cool weather then. So happy your garden is looking beautiful!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to fall as well, Sunday. These look delicious (they do with such great covers) and sound interesting. I hope you will review some of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, yes I promise I will. I'm almost done with The Essex Serpent. It is so good!

      Delete
  3. I always look forward to your book suggestions. It has been a busy summer here; unfortunately I haven't had much time for reading. I am looking forward to a quiet autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I hope autumn is more peaceful for you and that you get a chance to enjoy some good books. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much Sunday for your reading suggestions. I have discovered quite a few new favourite authors thanks to your recommendations. I have just finished All Passion Spent and it was one of my favourite books of the year. Just about to start The Essex Serpent - what a stunning cover. Love your blog so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, that made my day. Thank you so much! I loved "All Passion Spent" and this summer was able to visit Sissinghurst and really felt Vita's presence. What an inspiring woman she was!

      Delete
  5. Sunday... Thank you for the reading list. I have always looked at you as my literary guide and have never been disappointed. As you know, I have loved All Passion Spent and The Summer Before the War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judie, thank you! I always look forward to talking to you about books! xx

      Delete
  6. Every one of those book covers are beautiful! It's been ages since I've read Angela Thirkell--what a treat. I saw a few of the Mapp and Lucia TV episodes but never read the books--will do so, soon. Thanks, Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, so glad to hear you share my love for Angela Thirkell's books. I bought many of the books on this list in England on my last trip. It's always interesting to see the difference between the American and the British editions. xx

      Delete
  7. Sunday, I so enjoy your book recommendations! I can't wait to dip into these. I finished the new Julian Fellows a couple of weeks ago on your recommendation and really enjoyed it. Have you read the South African author Alan Paton? I just read "Cry the Beloved Country" -- definitely one of the best books I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of these choices! I also have The Essex Serpent on my fall reading list and I think Weatherland looks intriguing as well. I'm only reading galleys at the moment for a presentation I'm giving at my library on the 17th, but after that I'll have a few months of reading whatever I want -- can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good choices! I've got my eye on Weatherland, too. Also the new Anne Patchett.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually don't read as much in the summer, but this summer was an exception - I think I read a book a week. Just finished Cutting For Stone, which was fantastic, and am eagerly awaiting the release of Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. All your selections look great and I do hope we have a cozy fall/winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely list Sunday! I love all your choices, and I'm so glad you're eager to start The Summer Before the War. I hope you enjoy it :) Miranda xxx http://mirandasnotebook.com/

    ReplyDelete