Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Costume Drama from England



I have just heard some very exciting news for fans of British television.  Are you a fan?  I have been one for as long as I can remember!   A lovely reader from England has written me that a new five- part television series called "Parade's End" starring Benedict Cumberbatch has just begun to air in England. This new mini-series is scheduled to begin here at the end of the year.  It is based on Ford Maddox Ford's quartet of novels "Parade's End" about Britons during the First World War.  Adapted for television by playwright Tom Stoppard, who has also written the screenplay for the upcoming film "Anna Karenina" (can't wait!),  it has an incredible cast which includes Rebecca Hall, Rupert Everett, Miranda Richardson, and Janet McTeer.  Here are some of the luscious images from this new Edwardian mini-series. It looks gorgeous with its English countryside setting and grand country houses; it just may ease our impatience while we wait for "Downton Abbey" to return.

    
After a little research I learned the following about the story:  Benedict Cumberbatch plays Christopher Tietjens, a government statistician from a wealthy family who is serving in the British army during World War I.  While he is away at war his socialite wife Sylvia, played by Rebecca Hall (above), is a  deeply flawed character who seems intent on ruining her husband.  The other main character is a woman with whom Tietjens is in love, a young suffragette named Valentine played by actress Adelaide Clemens.  "Parade's End" is a love story set during the Great War as well as a portrait of British society before, during, and after the war.   It sounds promising.  While waiting for this series to begin, I would love to read the novels by Ford Maddox Ford on which it is based.   




By the way, are you a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch?  I think he is one of the most fascinating actors to watch and loved him in the recent series "Sherlock" on Masterpiece Mystery.  I wrote about it here.   Cumberbatch gave a fabulous performance as Sherlock Holmes which he delivered with humor and intelligence.  I can't wait to see what he does in this new mini-series currently airing in England.   


I am very excited for this one!  It just might be the new "Downton Abbey."

All photos from here

13 comments:

  1. Sunday,

    This looks fabulous! I cannot wait for it to start. I am a huge fan of British historical dramas, love it all the stories, the scenery, the books, etc.

    I hope that you have a fabulous week!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent news!!
    I, too, am a fan of Mr. Cumberbatch (isn't that the best name ever?). I recently read he is in talks to be in the next Meryl Streep movie, Osage County. Wouldn't it be delicious to watch the two of them together??
    xo,
    p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miles better than Downton Abbey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you for introducing this series to me.
    I'll be sure to watch it when it airs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first noticed Benedict Cumberbatch when he played William Pitt in the movie "Amazing Grace". He was terrific. Looking forward to this series. Thanks, Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I'll definitely be watching it when it airs. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great - wish it was beginning this Sunday. Did you ever see (a long time ago) Masterpiece Theatre's series "The Duchess of Duke Street" ~ that, and the original "Upstairs, Downstairs" began my unending addiction to English television.
    Thanks for the head's up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been watching this serial. Yes, it's good on costume, good on cinematography, and the story is an interesting one - not yet sure whether we're supposed to admire Christopher Tietjens or not - but what is bad is the diction and some of the sound quality. I am not deaf, but truly it is hard to tell what the mumbling actors sometimes say and this has been the main criticism of this series by viewers here in the UK.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope it is the new "Downton Abbey". Thanks for the heads-up - I will definitely watch for it. Young Sherlock looks so very different in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks gorgeous! And how fun to see the Sherlock actor in another role! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another series that is right up my alley! Thanks for letting me know about it. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful discovery! I'm being so naughty and watching it online; the first two episodes are available to watch. ;) Can't resist on this rainy NYC day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many wonderful period pieces to look forward to. I always know you will keep me in the know when it comes to wonderful drama and books. Thanks. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete